Friday, October 10, 2014

(Leaf) Peeping and belated Princesses

 Today was my penultimate radiation treatment.  YAY! 
So I celebrated by toodling to a couple of galleries in Newburyport.  First,  I had breakfast at Angies Food.  I had my first Loukaniko   (Greek Sausage) omelet.  Then I went next door to Annie's (where I didn't take any photographs, but mentally added quite a bit of jewelry to my "I would wear THIS!" list.  Then I went to the Walsingham Gallery.  High class, high prices.  I rediscovered the wonderful paintings by "American Treasure," Liz Gribin.  (I still didn't have my camera out... so check out the links!)

But finally, as I was leaving the gallery, I realized there was this aqua building looking quite Hopper-esque.  Can't wait to paint it.  Should I leave the truck in?  What about the giant, contrasty traffic cones?  The Gallery sign?  The Real Estate sign?



This sheep, by Lucy Sander Sceery, was at the Chameleon Arts, which, sadly is going the way of the Dodo in December.  After 20  years, the partners want to retire and do something else.
Then I drove the long way home, pulling onto the shoulder of the road and craning my neck and shoulders out of the window to capture what I thought were the best of the October colors.  It was SUCH a beautiful day today.  (We're supposed to get rain tomorrow.  Fall colors against gray skies are a totally different experience and hot hues against a cerulean sky. )

 This Merrimac farm house with outbuildings is for sale.  Perfect if you want horses and some extra land.
Probably a bargain at $594K.  The listing says:  Bring the crowd! Invest in two separate homes, each nicely updated and well maintained, plus garage space for up to 11 vehicles, shop buildings, fabric barn and 12 mixed acres, including 4 acre+ hayfield. 56 Birchmeadow: Antique (formerly JG Whittier's schoolhouse) enlarged and renovated with metal roof, vinyl siding, newer systems and a multi-faceted suite for au pair, in-laws, boomerang kids or a home office. Property also includes 2 bay garage, drive through shop, woodburning furnace, ample storage. 2 Flinn Ln: Cottage of 5 rooms, built in 1996, with detached garage and car port. Back 12 acres has a fabric barn, 4 acre prime hayfield, woods and stream. Priced as a package, well below assessed value. Easy access to commuting routes in every direction, Merrimac is an often-overlooked community with much to offer, and this expansive offering will serve you well, whether looking for a viable investment or room for a crowd! 
 Below is the edge and surface of a marsh/pond/beaver habitat.  The staghorn sumac was completely glowing.



 There's something delightful about the geometric, boxy houses of New England in contrast to the organic shapes of the trees and land.

 And the wind was whipping up some premature clouds into wisps.

 These photos would need some judicious editing before I painted from them... but what fun it will be to use so many saturated colors!





 I especially like the fall colors with the blue sky contrast.  Will have to think about how to paint it with out getting "mud."


 I don't have exact understanding of why some trees turn so much brighter than others.  It has to do with species, moisture in the ground and in the air, and how suddenly the temperatures change.  As much as climate change makes me nervous, SEASONAL change makes me happy.

I like how the back door of the home below is protected by the exuberantly colored leaves of their maples and sycamores.


















 If I paint either of these images, I'm pretty sure I'll take out the power lines!




 And here are the very few photos I got of Her Highness's birthday party before my camera batteries bit the dust.

Every Princess needs a crown... and sometimes you just get to  make your own.  There was more than sufficient glitter, "jewels," markers and glue.  Remember Queen for a Day?
 These are HRH's cousins.  Ella the Queen and a loyal Knight!  (He was pretty cute to watch when lifting his visor to eat his cupcake and goldfish!)
And the talented, creative, loving "Queen Mother," helping one of the guests with her prizes... there was princess make up, princess paing, princess jewelry, and princess candy.

Who wouldn't love a mom who proclaimed "Happy Thoughts"?


Many Happy Returns, and thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Singingland Studios said...

yay for last treatment! the green house is on titcomb. i have a piano student up that road, i know the green landmark well. you will have to let your senses guide you as to what to leave in or leave out? sometimes simpler can be easier on the eye although leaving interesting artifacts can work too.