Thursday, September 11, 2014

Keep your eyes open -- You just never know what you'll see



I am grateful that all of my loved ones were safe before AND after 9-11, and I wasn't especially eager to hear hours of news coverage, punditry or re-hashing of the losses and disillusionment about our place in the world.  But when I rounded a corner in Newburyport after today's radiation therapy, I couldn't help but feel proud about the many of "my" country's flags arranged in the park  I didn't get out of the car, so I don't know if the flags were individually dedicated to local residents or not.  I suspect they might be. I think the flood lights on them after dark must have a huge impact as well. 
Thanks to the sponsors.


Add caption
Yesterday was a perfect fall day.  Our open windows and the bright sunshine attracted the cat to the rocking chair.  I knew that if I went to get my "big" camera, she'd jump down and stop posing.  So I pulled out my Android and snapped a LOT of pictures.  I should know better.  Do you think she's a vampire?  She just doesn't seem to show up well in photographs.  I Photoshopped a couple... and might try to create a painting based on these in combination with my imagination.

Cat in chair.  And later, Cat on clean laundry.
 I like the idea of a semi-green and ocher cat!
 DH and I sent out to lunch at The Early Bird.  I was pleased to discover a "Mom" coke!  I think DH's said Pal.  That works. I haven't seen any that say Petunia.  Or Shinequa.  Or Ethel.

 Darling daughter and I met at The Woolpack.  I knit and looked at knitting magazines (and these great Dahlias) while she bought yarn to start a crib blanket for one of her many friends who are pregnant.  She bought an "extra" pair of needles, too.  So she could start her project while we had coffee next door. They are participating in a "Yarn Crawl"  later this month and we plan to spend all day visiting stores all over the greater Boston Area.  Fiber IS Fun!


Tonight DH and I tried Popovers in Epping.  Being (relatively) new to New England, we took a gamble and had the Indian Pudding for dessert.  We liked it!  Those "Indians" combined some great flavors.
I doubt they had cookies like this one, though:  Pecan/Coconut Sandies.  

I forgot we had been to the one in Portsmouth.  I like this one better because they take your order at your table, rather than making you stand in line.


 The weatherman predicted humidity and thunderstorms, but neither have been noteworthy (so far).  The air was very still near Lake Attitash.  Most of the lake-edge has either road or homes; but unlike some other lakes, there is sufficient space between the houses to see through the vegetation to the water.  I realized that without seeing the photo below, it wouldn't occur to me to make patches of water, weeds and wind-ruffled water so contrasty.

 There is a VERY narrow "isthmus" between the upper and lower part of the lake.
 At least one tree is ready for Fall.  I hope that we have brilliant colors again this year.
Lots of the homes seem to be summer cottages.  This was one of the few that seemed built for the whole family, for ALL year.  Such dark siding was a rarity in California and Texas.  But lots of historic homes here are dark.  I guess it makes them easier to find when it snows.

Finally, we have an intrepid invader surrounded by Coneflowers (echinacia).  This sunflower must have grown from a stray sunflower seed in the bird feeder.  Only one!  It is a different configuration than the sunflowers I've seen in other gardens. According to Wikipedia there are 52 species in the genus Helianthus... that is "true" sunflowers.  Maybe I should see how many I can identify.  Or not.  As perennials, I wonder how many there might be NEXT year.

No comments: