Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Drawing the public in public


I have been drawing in public again.  It is something I really enjoy doing, and doubly so when I go home and "color" my pen and ink efforts.  These were drawn with my Lamy Safari pen and Noodler's Black ink, then colored with Staedtler watercolor crayons.  Someone said they couldn't get enough colors with their color pencil set, but I wonder if they knew they could over lay color after color, cross hatching and stippling to make different shades and tones.

The elegant woman above was reading (and dozing) in one of the comfy chairs at a new-to-us Starbucks in Seabrook, New Hampshire.  The coffee mecca is housed in a former Taco Bell which means it is about 5 times the size of a "normal" Starbucks.  Whee!  As you can see, it was a chilly day and the lady was wrapped in a beautiful RED wool coat with enormous lapels, snugged with a blue cowl.  Her sweater was a complimentary rose color, and wisely had a cuff into which she had cached a tissue.  (It is cold and sneeze season, after all.)  In spite of her sensible shoes, I bet the novel about Claude and Camille made her toes tingle!

 
I found myself in Amesbury at the Morning Buzz for breakfast.  I situated myself behind a young couple with a five month old in a carrier.  He was almost hidden with the curtain of toys, but he was happy to make eye contact and flail around in response to smiles and coos.  Dad was wearing a Boston Bruins Jersey, and it turned out that Mom had played hockey on a community team.  They were going to start little Mr. on skates when he is 18 months.


There were lots of families at Morning Buzz (it was MLK day and the Inauguration was on their TV.  The Cindy-Lou-Who toddler reminded me of my granddaughter.  She would pop her head up above the back of their booth and say "Hello!" to anyone watching her. 
My husband wonders if it is the drawing or the eavesdropping I  like best.  I'm not sure.  I like both.
Back at Starbucks' Seabrook. 
Amazing how much you can leave out and still get the idea.
I visited a pottery studio/gallery (which was closed), but was reminded of the importance of shape.  I drew a grid in my sketchbook and tried to think of a variety of shapes.  Of course with clay, knowing the shape you want and getting the clay to DO that are two entirely different enterprises.  I dolled up the ideas with some shading and color. 

No comments: