Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Knitting and Armed Combat

I've just ended a six week fling. My son introduced me to the guy. Fell in love with Jack Reacher-- The hero in the thrillers by Lee Child.
(The author looks pretty good, too, don't you think?)

Within the hour, I've finished reading ALL of the Jack Reacher books. I only started reading them about a month ago. (There are 11). They are addictive and have easily won my attention away from laundry, filing, and gardening. (Well, it rained part of the time.)

At least one has been optioned by Paramount. But the lead's not been cast.

In Without Fail, there are a couple paragraphs with knitting ... a woman he cares about is being
pursued by bad guys and doesn't know where to begin to look for them. (There are really, REALLY bad guys in all of these books)
"Maybe one of them is an old lady who knits sweaters. Are you going to walk up to her and say, oh my God, what's with you? I can't believe you actually have the temerity to know how to knit sweaters."
"You're equating armed combat with knitting
sweaters?"
"I'm saying we're all good at something. And that's what I'm good at. Maybe it's the only thing I'm good at. I'm not proud of it, and I'm not ashamed of it either. It's just here. I can't help it. I'm genetically programmed to win, is all. Several
consecutive generations."
This is his newest hardback, but I'm glad that once I was "hooked" (by Hard Way) I went back and read them in the order they were published.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip. I'll check the library today. I love finding a great author that has written a number of books. So much to look forward to.