Wednesday, September 05, 2018

Distinctions and Differences

You can choose what you do. 
But you can't choose what you like to do.

One of the things I was mis-taught as a kid was that I should like everything I do.... or at least be good natured about it. Clean your room. Brush your teeth. Do your homework. Write a thank you note to Aunt Matilda.
Outwardly, I was relatively compliant.

Internally, not so much. 
The obstacle to liking a lot of things was not knowing how to do it and failing to find any reward in the task. I always liked doing homework and getting good grades, I had to admit that I was happier in a neat, vacuumed and dusted room.  I liked my toothpaste flavor. And Aunt Matilda always sent unexpected gifts.

But, as mentioned before, I never enjoyed house cleaning. I got told to "JUST DO IT!" but not how to do it. So when I thought I was done there was no applause, just criticism. 

I now devised a "system" for kitchen sink cleaning.  I still don't like it much, but as I practice the HABIT I don't grumble (or procrastinate) so much.

A habit is how people get things done WITHOUT THINKING ABOUT IT.

When cleaning the kitchen has become a habit, I'll do it automatically without kvetching or suffering even if I never learn to love doing it.

Something else I've never liked?
EXERCISE.  Moving. Sweating.




Not sure why, I just don't.  But I am thinking about how to make it a habit.
I don't need to go on a five mile hike for starters.  I could go for a five minute WALK and that would be huge progress. 

If I restarted a subscription to a morning newspaper, that would be a huge incentive.  Get up. Put on shoes and socks. GET THE PAPER.  Do it daily. Work up to walking to the end of the block , or up the hill. Cardio huffing and puffing achieved, no shower required! That's a habit with some appeal for me, even if I have to get up a bit earlier.

Of course I really like to draw, paint and do crafty things. 
But it would benefit by a more habitual practice. A schedule would be good!  I be thinking about developing a practice habit.
 By the way, when I was studying addiction interventions, I did learn that the best way to break a habit is to substitute something else.

What habits are helping you? What do you wish was a habit so that it didn't take up too much room in your brain?

No comments: