Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Pastel Class V: Dialogue and Eavesdropping as learning methods.


 The instructions for all remaining classes is to "bring something simple" as a reference, and to work on it.  I was concerned that would mean A Local Artist wouldn't be as helpful or instructional as she was in the first few sessions.  However, it turns out that if you ask questions (or if she sees something that bothers her), she will take however much time it takes to answer.  Interesting that pastels "go quick."  Totally different from the oil class I took last Spring... where after 8 weeks I had ONE painting!

A Local Artist  reviewed my prior abstract landscapes, and the challenging cat, and gave me some pointers.  I don't know if I can make the recommended changes, or in some cases, whether I even WANT to make the changes.  I do, however, very much appreciate her time and attention. At least I have enough experience to understand the reasoning behind her suggestions.  (Nobody needs a floating cat!!)

I was also kind of surprised to find out that she sends her pastels OUT to be framed.  "Requires too much patience!" she said.  So if anybody wants to buy pastels, I'll probably sell them unframed! (Or use the excellent framer I have found since, who caters to artists who need/want to keep their overhead down.)
 
Here are the sheep I started yesterday, with a bit more facial definition (and legs!).  
Here they are at the end of class.  Seeing them on screen and in various sizes, I can see that they need more work, although I'm not quite sure what or how.  Nevertheless, I was pleased that every time another student, or A Local Artist, for that matter, came over to look at them, they smiled or even laughed out loud.  
"Cute, but not cutesy!" was the primary verdict.  "Gives me a warm feeling, right here," was another.
Which is OK with me.
 Last night I spent a long time searching for barn images on the web.  In the last 20 minutes of class, I tried to get the bones down.  It needs blending and a sky.  Not sure what color the sky should be.  Lavender?  Cerulean blue?  Orange?  Maybe I'll play with in Photoshop before I apply any more pigment.

 The woman who sits in front of me did this lovely rainy landscape.


 Kevin One (There are two Kevins in our class!) Worked from one of his own photographs and was discovering amazing blazing trees.
 I like his scribbly style and tonal variations; not to mention the way his work looks confident... even when he sounds doubtful.

Tomorrow, I plan to use the coarse pumice gel medium on some watercolor paper and do some experimenting with that.  I might even cut some of the sanded Wallis paper into workable sizes.


Oh, and my right hand index finger aches at the first joint.  Apparently I am not ergonomic with my blending technique.  I have found myself wishing that I had witch-like pointy fingers so my blending was more focused. 

No comments: