Saturday, May 19, 2012

Groton Expedition: Blossoms and Beauty

DH and I took a wandering drive across HW 40 to West Groton.  One of the places we stopped was the Groton Nursery and Garden Center.
 The first thing I saw was this sign for Salt Marsh Hay.  Apparently hay is one of the substances used for mulch, and hay from salt marshes won't rot, doesn't pack down, AND doesn't sprout weeds because gardens aren't salt marshes.  AND it is a product only found East of the Appalachians. 
 I asked one of the proprietors about the difference between Azaleas and Rhododendrons.  I thought it might be a dumb question, but she assured me that it wasn't because they were closely related species.  Azaleas tend to bloom earlier and be smaller plants.  Rhododendrons have bigger (almost spherical) blossoms and bigger leaves.  Apparently there are also deciduous and evergreen varieties.
 I had seen heucheras in nurseries in Dallas, but I think they are better in the lower numbered zones of New England than the desert zones of Texas. I wonder if they are these colors ALL year, or just in spring with new growth... or what.  Off to research.
 A crocus in its own pot.
 Giant Allium/Ornamental Onion
 A spikey blue flowering plant that I forgot to write the name of.
 Iceland Poppy.  If they grow well here, I'm going to have lots of them!  Love poppies.
 A mystery plant that looks like it is made of spun fiberglass.
 A specialty "daisy".  don't they look like children's drawings of flowers?
 Fuschias
 There were lots of bird feeders and lots of birds feeding.  I think this is a downy woodpecker.
 Hanging baskets in abundance.  I need to figure out how this could make a good painting.
Apparently Red Wing Blackbirds like fruit.  Oranges anyone?

No comments: