Thursday, November 13, 2008

Known Effect of Economic Downturn--
Visiting the Library!

This is the nearest branch of the library. It was BUSY! Every chair and computer had somebody attached to it. AND you know the best part? No, not that the books are free to read. They have QUALITY books selected by subject experts... rather than multiple copies of whatever had the big advertising budget. For somebody like me, who has, um, unusual (or just plain wacky) interests, it was heaven!! (See side bar reference for book references-- a new feature.)
Architecturally, the center (which was dedicated in 1998) is pretty nifty. This is the breezeway between the library and a police sub-station. The undulating pergola protects from rain AND is outlined in white lights. There's a table & benches back there, too.
This art installation is new since the last time I visited. The hexagon's rotate (I think they're motor powered as they were all rotating in unison... but it could be wind powered, too... which would be more politically correct. The blades are covered in something iridescent... so that as they move, they either reflect, catch a particular color of light, OR let the texture of the brick wall show through. I've asked for an email to find out what it's name is and who made it.

The kinetic sculpture is titled: Water and Plow (after a poem by the Texas State Poet Laureate) and is by Teresa Camarozzi. She's also done sculptures for hospitals, airports and corporations, as well as LOTS of pieces you might call paintings... except that they are polymer + resin + digital manipulations of photographs + lucite or fabric. One pretty and creative woman!

Tell your city planners you like public art!
This contrail slashed the sky just above the horizon.

Typically clouds show up in the west when the sun sets. Tonight was no exception.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Libraries ROCK!!
I consider our regular, almost weekly visits there to be the reason my children love books and reading almost as much as I do.

While I have paid my share of late fees-it is still more budget-friendly than the bookstore when the munchkins go through as many as 3 to 10 books per week. Now I rely on the "Library Elf" a service that emails me a few days before books are due, and even when my holds are ready. :)