Tuesday, November 04, 2008

FRUSTRATION

Apparently I'm not the only one it has happened to, but it still stinks. Here's the heading that came up on google when DH and I tried to find a solution to my problem:

After the Windows Logo displays or after you log on to Windows, a Windows XP-based computer may only display the wallpaper, a black screen, or a blue screen.

Yup. Wallpaper. No icons. No start menu. NO USEFULNESS.


As DH said, there's still the "nuclear option," by which he means re-formatting the hard-drive. And perhaps not being able to save what seemed like timeless and essential earlier versions of paintings, work documents, journal entries, essays and correspondence.
So, if I seem out of touch for a while, you'll know why.

3 comments:

Rita said...

Sorry to hear about your computer problems. :( I know I'd be lost without my son taking care of my computer "issues" for me. He's had to redo the brains of my computers a few times. I try to keep backups--but don't know a lot about that, either. Computers! Sometimes hard to live with, but can't live without mine any more. Who would have ever thought, eh? Remember when computers took up entire rooms that had to be kept cool? What an amazing world we live in! :):)

mARTa said...

lamentation. I love my mac.

Nancy said...

DANG!!

having a professional copying the data on your hard drive can be expensive, but you have to be the one that decides if it's worth it.

and now...

invest in an external hard drive that runs a ghosting program that saves everything you have on your drive.

That being said, explore other options before wiping and reformatting.