Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Observe closely




The Personality Brokers: The Strange History of Myers-Briggs and the Birth of Personality TestingThere's a new book out about the development of the Meyers-Briggs personality inventory.

Reviews of the book and the MBPI are mixed.
I think one of the problems with the MBTI is that it seems to established to determine dichotomies rather than tendencies. My experience is one of being at the pivot point of lots of qualities: introverted/extroverted, emotion or evidence based,
AND the type has fluctuated over time.  (You can take a free, on-line version here or here.)



There are plenty psychologists and philosophers who think this is all bunk.  I find it interesting bunk just the same! I don't know of any scientific proof.

What I intended to write about was whether I preferred routine or novelty.  I don't think I know! There seems to be a relationship to the question of preferring comfort or growth.

I think I tend toward routine and comfort -- until it gets boring.  We go to the same restaurants. We always watch Jeopardy (!). I go to rug hooking Mondays

Hooked rug for someone whose name means 8 pines
and studio painting class on Tuesday. Too much novelty and too much "growth" tend to make me anxious much quicker than routine and comfort bore me. It doesn't take much for novelty to seem like chaos.

But sometimes routine turns into boredom which turns into feeling stuck which turns into whining which turns into not being happy.

I'm getting better about nipping that process in the bud. It helps to "DO something!" Shift gears. Whether it is taking a few steps outside, reading a different book, calling a friend, or writing a letter;  doing SOMETHING different helps.

Planned-for novelty is better than the kind of novelty that ambushes. It seems to help to have a wished-for plan on my calendar each week. A movie date with my daughter? A visit with the grandchildren?  An exhibit at a local gallery or craft museum?

Konstantin Dimopoulos: The Blue Trees
There is an anticipated community art installation at the Currier Museum in Concord, NH.
 Spontaneity has it's place, but in my house, I can't count on it showing up without a little planning.  Ironic, isn't it?!

When the plan is bigger, it can be a source of anxiety AND anticipation-- I have an out of state trip planned for next month.  I don't like flying anymore and thoughts of TSA make me angry and nervous.  I'm hoping that friends at the destination will make it "worth it."




Today's MBTI said I was an INFP:  "The Mediator"

Image result for MBTI


The explanation also said "Mediators are the most likely personality type to spend a lot of time wondering where their life is going."  But you already knew that.  Even I knew that.

So will you build more routine or more novelty into the rest of the year?

No comments: