Friday, September 07, 2018

Even a "wasted day" didn't turn out to be quite what I expected.


By the time I finished what should have been yesterday's blog entry, it was 2 pm. The day seemed to be more than half over. In my mind, I thought that would be over and done with by 7 am.  HA!

In retirement, especially when there were no external obligations, I've often felt that I "wasted my day," or "got nothing done."  That wasn't making me happy at all.

So even though my bedtime and the nightly news approach, I'm taking a different point of view.  
I've known since grad school that FEELINGS DON'T = REALITY. So I did a bit of reality testing by listing what I DID get done.
  • coordinated flight times for a Florida trip with a friend
  • booked airline tickets
  • let friend know the travel times
  • used a discount travel service (which felt daring and risky)
  • paid three bills on line
  • contacted bank as to why my credit card didn't work (I'd miss-typed the CVV  # and the bank shut down the card)
  • culled email and read the rest
  • read for pleasure
  • read a book study book and took notes
  • read two lessons on better oil painting
  • cleaned kitchen after darling husband made Caesar salad for dinner 
Are there additional things I meant to do? Yes. 
But monitoring what I DID do makes me feel much better and determined to get some of those wished for activities worked in.  Tomorrow.



For now it's off to dreamland.  I had a sufficient amount of "me" time to be willing to go to bed.  And more sleep will most likely give me an energy boost that will help with those additional activities.
Jim Shore's Angel of Persistence







What have you done that shows persistence?






 

No comments: