Friday, October 16, 2015

Bright, Sunny Day

 

Today was the kind of day that makes you move to New England.  Bright sunshine with just a few We met at Applecrest Farms Bistro in Hampton Falls.  I had never been there and had no idea what to expect.  When I arrived I realized it was a true New England experience.  There were several busloads of elementary school children picking their own apples and being coached:  "We love apples!" "We love apricots!"In addition to typically worn barns and out buildings, the farm has recently expanded and added a brilliant white barn with red trim which houses produce, flowers, honey and local wine for sale. 

I arrived a bit early and nosed around the fruits and vegetables.  As a "city girl,"  I've always "made do" with what is in the local grocery store.  Even in California, it meant that what we got was whatever was least likely to spoil, even if it wasn't as tasty or interesting as other varieties that might have been available.   No offense to Libby's but I bed THESE squash taste different than their canned products.

 I had definitely never seen spotted pink, or deep purple "green" beans" before. Might have to go back and get some because they're one vegetable that DH actually likes.  (Especially if sauted in a little bacon grease!).




The flower assortments were creatively collected.  If I plan my errands on my way to or from Exeter, they'll be a good resource for Daily Painting.




The Topsfield Fair, held a few miles south of this Apple Farm has a contest for heaviest pumpkin.  This year a man from Connecticut won: Gary Vincent from Plainville with a pumpkin weighing 1992.5 pounds  Below is one from Applecrest... It's probably only 50% or 60% as big as the Topsfield winner.

What do you suppose a "carnival" squash tastes like?

Or eggplants that are shaped like zucchini, or striped pink and white?




 
 

 My painters' eyes were fascinated with the pure Red, White and Blue hues.  It was a bit breezy to eat outside, but I did sit and sketch and take these pictures.  Hope I can do the colors and perspective justice.

 The farmer had at least two canine friends.

 The Bistro touted the fact that their food was locally sourced. You can see their menu here.  I want to go back for French toast with apple pie stuffing.


Adjacent the parking lot and behind an old fashioned stone fence was one big old apple tree.  I thought the red and crimson apples on the grass were picturesque.

Across the street from the barns and bistro were MORE apple orchards, some corn and a cheery line up of sunflowers.
 


On my way home I found some more apple trees, with signs that said they were part of the Applecrest production and NOT for picking.  I liked the contrast of these two trees with the produce behind them and the one bright red Maple. (Not to mention the amazing blue of the sky.)


 I wonder how many times I would have to try before I could depict the beauty of the light filtering down between yellow, orange and green leaves... with both delicate and strong gray trees.  
When I first saw that there was a street named "Trundle Bed" I thought it was a joke.  But I rounded a corner that had this carved bit of granite... and really liked the epigram. Do you know Anthony D'Angelo? He's apparently a contemporary personal growth guru who emphasizes education. I hope he offers an alternative to discouraged millennials!

 Another street with a name that amused me was Stumpfield.  No doubt it was merely descriptive when the land was first parceled out and farmed.  But what a lovely farmhouse, barn and silo I saw there.  Another painting challenge!




And then I went home... by way of some knitting at my new Local Yarn Shop.

No comments: