Saturday, December 07, 2013

Belated Inquiry: What are you thankful for?

 
I was minding my own business at the breakfast table when something big and black wandered into my peripheral vision.  It was a herd of turkeys.
I had been amazed earlier, by romp of squirrels alternately attempting to conquer and defend the bird feeder.  The squirrels here really leap and jump... probably because they wish their little feet didn't have to get so cold in the snow.
 
 Do you think these guys know that Thanksgiving is over?  Do you think they are thankful anyway?  I kinda think they don't think!
But they must know something about insect life (or seeds?) after a light snow.  I haven't seen them since last spring.
I don't know enough about turkeys to know if these were Toms, Hens, juveniles or grandparents.  But there were more than last year.  I counted 22.





Mostly seemed to studiously ignore each other.  Except for one incident of chest bumping.  It didn't look so much like "victory" as "get away from my chick."

Then they disappeared into the woods as clendestinely as they appeared.


No comments: