Sunday, January 01, 2012

Happy New Year (and another double bind)!

Don't make promises you can't keep.
Make big plans and resolutions.

So. Even though I slept well past noon (no hangover or New Year's champagne over dose... just "old & slow") the first thing I did after checking for phone messages was TAKE A WALK. That is my main resolution for the year. Move. Walk. Regularly. Eventually I may add goals having to do with distance, pace and heart rate.

This morning, 25 minutes was enough. About 3 minutes in, I realized my hip joints were twingeing. Last week I walked and my hips actually pinched after about 7 minutes... but perhaps mere twingeing, but sooner means there is positive change. They never got to the point of real pain today. And then about 7 minutes in, I realized that I was breathing with my mouth open. I've had bronchitis and pneumonia often enough, and sleep apnea/CPAP long enough to believe that in spite of having unfashionably large boobs, my lungs are pitifully weak and hiding their light under... well, not a bushel exactly.

I'm happy now.
Although I am wondering, why am I sweating NOW (after my exercise) instead of DURING?
I am psyching myself up to get up EARLY (for me at least) tomorrow morning, so I can walk 30 minutes, still watch the Rose Parade (gotta do that as a native Pasadenan!!) and then go to the art studio to paint with friends.


I don't want to be the fattest of all the people I know anymore. And I'm finally admitting that I probably am.

Comments and support about a) how I am "as is" as well as for b) my walking resolution. It is a promise I want to keep... but haven't been able to in the past.

1 comment:

wenders said...

hi! a friend just told me about a book called "52 small changes: one year to a happier, healthier you". it's all about what you're doing (and me, too)... small changes to get to a big goal. don't let the boot deter you from your annual goal! it's just a wee roadblock!
love you!