Saturday, October 15, 2011

Time Flies When You're a Nonny

This is my granddaughter. She turned one at the beginning of the month. I can't believe how big a part of my heart she commands after such a short time. Nor can I believe how much she grows from visit to visit. We saw her when she was just a few months old and again when she was about 8 months old. Thank goodness we are planning a move to be closer, because otherwise we would be missing TOO MUCH.
We got to attend her birthday party with ALL the available relatives from a 1000 mile radius. Mom opened the gifts and was delighted with all of them. This former librarian is happy she liked the many books added to her library.
Dad's sister gave the grand-daughter a Boston Bruins Hockey Pet Pillow. I think Dad is adopting it for the time being.
HRH the Grand daughter was a relaxed guest of honor.
Aunt "Dubs" doted on HRH and HRH's 5 month old cousin. There were three grandmothers, two grandfathers, an aunt, an uncle and two cousins present in addition to parent's colleagues and their children. It was a rollicking good celebration without rain or humidity.
When I was the host/Mom for my children's parties, I just remember being very stressed and concerned that things wouldn't go right. My son and daughter-in-law appear to know what they're doing. I didn't see any signs of fretfulness or worry. As much as I am delighted for them, sometimes I feel sad that I didn't know how to enjoy myself when I was treading that part of my path, and that my parents didn't seem enthusiastic about being grandparents.

This is HRH's dad when he was about 5. I don't have a picture of him at HIS first birthday party. Figures. He is the younger child. The picture of his big sister at HER first birthday shows her with cake crumbs (chocolate and yucky looking) all over, and a Coors can on her high-chair tray.

It's amazing to me that they both turned out so well.

No comments: