Saturday, September 03, 2011

Regolith by Sultry
Regolith, a photo by Sultry on Flickr.

It was my intention to compose a work that was nearly monotone, grayed and calm, in contrast to the vibrant (some would say HYPER) colors that I usually work with. By the time I finished, I had probably created a couple dozen layers, which is more than I usually have the patience for. As I worked, I discovered colors.. some lilac, some yellows, blues and oranges. So, as always, there are compliments in hue. There are also compliments in texture/line.

It reminded me of dirt. But in a good way. When I looked for words that meant dirt, I discovered regolith... which refers to all the stuff that rests on rock. Could be silt, eroded rock, salt deposits or even broken down organic material. So there it is. Regolith.

No comments: