Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Illustration Friday - Visitor

This was a strange process for me. This is mostly a watercolor pencil sketch done while tending to my friend in the hospital (see below). Inexpensive, but wonderfully hued and blendable Faber-Castells that come in a can. I muddled them a bit with a water brush, then used the "smudge stick" filter which made the highlights more noticeable. I haven't done many night-time sketches, but feel I did an OK job of thinking through the lights and shadows. Your comments are always welcome.

3 comments:

wenders said...

I LOVE this... there are so many colors that I wouldn't *think* you'd see at night, but that are just right. I love the cat and am sort of wanting a green sweater now. :)

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

i love this....

Anonymous said...

I interpret the themes pretty literally, too. I like this because of the lighting. The warm inside light pouring through the door tells me how cozy it is inside and makes the open door look inviting. Love the muted colors of the outside. Great piece!