Monday, March 03, 2008

Words you never want to hear from your physician

"Go to the emergency room right away."

This morning, after a stern talking-to from DH because of moaning and groaning most of the weekend (and perhaps most of the past few months, I called my oncologist (2nd time), and my PCP to complain about the aches and pains I've been having. (They woke me up at 5 am this morning, and make me afraid to get out of bed.) Oncologist's office says to check with PCP who said the above.

Because I'd just described the symptoms for Deep Vein Thrombosis. And, post-cancer, post-cancer meds and some other issues put me at higher than normal risk.


"I had a patient with those symptoms Friday and she threw a clot," said the PCP. "She survived, but it could have gone to her lungs or heart and she'd be dead."

Fairly convincing, especially from my not usually frantic PCP.

Naturally, nobody PLANS time to go to an emergency room.

Fortunately, the Oncologist's office had said that if PCP wanted me to get "tested" they could make an appointment for me, and quickly.

And these conversations by cell phone happened as I was trying to have lunch with a friend I haven't seen in almost 8 months. I believe I developed a deer-in-the-headlights expression as I contemplated cancelling the rest of the day's plans. He offered to go with me. What a mensch! What a favor.

As it turns out, I had time to go to my office, contact the appointments I needed to cancel, contact DH (who was actually available to go with me), and have the Venous Doppler.


Which did NOT find a Deep Vein Thrombosis!

Taking action proved to be some relief in itself. It certainly raised my anxiety level, blood pressure, and sensitivities. DH and I had a celebratory dinner.

Tomorrow, I'll re-check with the MD's to see about pain management.

No doubt it'll have to do with exercise and weight loss. D'oh.
So now I have a "superficial" diagnosis.

And that's a good thing.

5 comments:

mARTa said...

Avery good thing! So glad it wasn't a DVT, but hope your pain gets managed and you are feeling better soon.

Nancy said...

As a person who had/has a DVT and was in the hospital with a pulmonary embolism......

You are very very lucky.

Anonymous said...

Whew! What a scare. Glad you're OK.

Lori Witzel said...

Bless your heart -- am so glad you're basically okay.

Wouldn't it be great of the only "special effects" we'd get were in a movie?

Hope you're feeling better.

soulbrush said...

wow what a scare, but thank goodness not a dvt...hope it gets better soon.