Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Ready, aim, what next?

This is the 8th of a 9 square embroidery sampler.  It lay abandoned most of the summer.
 Artists usually have forgotten or abandoned works called UFO’s: unfinished objects. Although I have dozens of canvases ready for framing leaning up against my studio walls, I’m more of a starter than a finisher.

There are plenty of UFO’s! I have a partially knit sweater, 1 7/8 pair of socks, a shawl that got really complicated, a hooked rug that needs the border and edging done and  dozens more that I’ve forgotten.

I also have projects where I’ve only gotten as far as buying the supplies: Containers full of wool in spectrum order, yarn filled cubbies taking up an entire bookshelf, dozens of skeins of embroidery floss, wire cutters and a substantial bead collection, pens, bottles of ink, wads of sheep fleece to be needlefelted...could be anything!

I get excited about starting new things; designing, picking colors, anticipating challenges. But sometimes I run out of steam. The novelty wears off. I don’t like how it’s going and don’t know how to proceed. Somebody says something critical.
I know I'm not the only one who has a hard time deciding IF the piece is finished. 
I wish this were finished because I have no idea how to paint the green glass ball on the left of the vase.

In spite of recommendations to “start with the end in mind,” my inner artist doesn’t seen to be built that way!
I'd like this to be a recognizable cranberry bog. But I don't know if I want it abstract, impressionistic or realistic. And I'm not sure how to DO any of those besides.     
Image result for irma cerese cranberry
Although I wish I had the confident style of Irma Cerese I know I have to work until my own style emerges!

Are you a person who loves to finish projects and tasks? Or are you an adventurous starter of another new thing?

No comments: