Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Promoter or preventer? (or both)



Do you set goals to achieve? Plan steps to advancement and gain? Pursue your ambitions? Hope to "get more" of whatever you want? Being ambitious has the reputation of being the all American style. (Play offense, don't settle for defense!)

Some people's achievements are prodded by those around them. If one is surrounded by people who encourage success and mentor those with less experience, it seems possible to achieve and move ahead. That person may find it natural to live up to expectations.

On the other-hand, if one is brow-beaten and threatened in case of sub-par achievement he or she may invest a lot of will and effort to either "prove them wrong," or get ahead of the consequences.

It seems to me that those who were brow-beaten and threatened a lot, might have taken a different view.  They might have learned to be cautious, to be on the look out for pitfalls and risks. You might be a preventer if you consciously strategize to avoid losses, to minimize danger or pain and to conserve what you've managed to get. 

As you could probably predict, most folks use both tendencies at least some of the time. After all, the entire insurance industry is comprised of underwriters and risk managers!

I would call myself a promoter when it comes to most kinds of learning: life-long learning, classes-- anything that might include lessons or that I can do by my self.  Playing the piano, playing the flute, public speaking, painting, creative writing.


But I am all about minimizing danger when it comes to any physical challenge. (You will never see me on a zip line or climbing the side of a cliff!) I carry the avoidant style into any situation where it might be useful to  promote myself-- not because of anything really horrible that might happen, but because of how much I worry about what other people might think, say or do. Admiringly, I watch my friends and colleagues enter juried art shows, ask for pay raises, change jobs.  

What are the situations where you take the initiative?
What are the ones where you hang back and watch?

Which strategy and situation combinations work best.  For YOU?

Like a kitten, I alternate between curiosity and caution.  An OLD kitten!

No comments: